Sunday, July 26, 2009

Jast: Fight for Your Life (Pt. 4)

The gloomy morning was no better for Jast. Every inch of his body ached and his wounds still throbbed with pain. He woke with Milyn and gathered his things and began the long journey back to Silvermoon. The world seemed to brighten slightly when he entered Eversong and the going was easier. As travelers passed him on the roads they would stare at him awkwardly. Jast smiled to himself every time this happened. No self-respecting Blood Elf would be caught dead looking as terrible as he did. It was a good thing Jast wasn't self-respecting. After a long and painful walk the gates of Silvermoon loomed ahead of him. The gold and crimson almost blinding him as the sun set reflected of it. Jast sighed and walked into the city.

The city was busy even in the evening. There were no crowds, but there were people everywhere he looked. It unnerved him. He began to make his way toward the healers on the other end of the city. He pulled the money pouch he got from the deal to see how much he could afford to spend on healing. As he pulled it open his heart sank. The pouch was full of copper coins, barely enough to buy him a decent meal. He should have figured those crooks would cheat him. He closed the pouch and stowed it away. It was time to pay someone a visit, and hope everything worked out. This was the last thing he wanted to do, but as desperate as he was it had to happen.

Jast entered the inn cautiously. He was lucky this was one of the less reputable taverns in the city or he would have been thrown out with his current appearance. He looked around the room for his help. The inn was crowded. Many races crowded the bar and tables spaced throughout the building. They all seemed untrustworthy. His eyes finally caught a glimpse of of shining silver hair in the distance. He began to push his way through the crowd with Milyn right behind him. He caught up with the woman he saw and grabbed her arm. She quickly spun around and the initial look of anger on her face became a look of surprise.
"Hello Dani." Jair's voice was flat and emotionless.
"What the hell are you doing here?" She looked down at his side. "And, what the hell happened to you?"
"Deal gone south. I got tore up bad." Jair shifted so he could lean against a support to take the weight off his bad leg.
"What kind of deal? Are you in trouble again?"
"No. I'm not in trouble, and it's best if you don't know." He looked away from her trying not to meet her eyes.
"Why are you always doing this?" She grabbed his chin and turned his face to look at her. "You just run off and leave me worrying." She let go of him and shook her head slgihtly. "Why do you keep coming back?"
"I don't know. I didn't have much of a choice as you can see."
She looked him over and frowned. "You wouldn't have come here for no reason. I know you wouldn't see me unless you wanted something. What is it?"
Jair looked away nervously again. "I... I need some money. I was stiffed on the job. I don't have any money to get patched up."
She crossed her arms and glared at him. "Figures. Apparently the people who care about you don't matter unless you need something. I don't know why I talk to you still."
"Daniella, please I just need to borrow some money to get patched up. I'll pick up some work and pay you back."
He voice started to choak up slightly. "You will never have legitimate work. You are talented, but you can't listen to anyone or even deal with people. I'm sick of helping you Jast." She began to turn away from him. Jast quickly reached out and grabbed her arm again, spinning her to face him again.
"Please, just help me out. I'll pay you back. I just need to get fixed up. I have holes in everything I own including myself. You know I'm good for it. I won't ask for anything again."
She rolled her eyes at him. "Don't lie to me. You won't pay me back and you will ask again."
Jast knew that was true. He couldn't pay her back anything he owed her. He looked into her eyes. "Please..." Milyn let out a small whine next to him.
Daniella looked down at Milyn then back at Jast. Tears began to form in the corner of her eyes. She reached into pouch at her side. "Fine, just stop doing this to me. Stay or go. I'm sick of your lies, Jast. Just go." She slapped a small handful of coins into his hand and looked at him with tearing eyes.
"Thanks Dani. I can always count on you to help me out." He grabbed her hand and gave it a tight squeeze.
"Just get out." She turned and walked back behind the bar and began to fill drinks. Jast stood and watched her for awhile before looking down at Milyn.
"Lets get fixed up girl." They both slowly walked out into the lamp lit streets of the golden city.

No comments:

Post a Comment